I propose a revision to the developer mining program that pays a ratio of UMA to TVM (Total Value Minted) per week for dapp mining, and launches an uncorrelated global liquidity mining program with a target APY that we can change occasionally.
This is a follow up proposal to this one.
Paying Dapp Miners Weekly for TVM
I propose that instead of a fixed # of UMA per week, the program awards a ratio of UMA/TVM (Total Value Minted.) This should alleviate some of the “zero-sum” experience that some developers have reported. If another dapp’s TVM goes up, your payout does not change.
These dapp miners will earn this when they tag their mint transactions. They can mint from any token at all and earn these rewards.
- The dapp miners are welcome to pass along some of their own rewards to users who mint or users who liquidity mine, which may be more important for certain higher-risk assets.
- If we do this, contracts become public goods and developers will not launch multiple redundant contracts. Or at least they’d have very little incentive to do so!
How the ratio works
We’ll set a ratio of $UMA/TVM in millions. For example, imagine we offer 1200 $UMA weekly per $1M minted. A dapp with $1M in minted value for 1 week will receive 1200 UMA.
xx% APY Global LM Program
This global program aims to give a somewhat consistent reward from liquidity mining across all contracts. We could imagine it working like this:
- We start with an APY we intend to target, e.g., 35% apy for all pool liquidity.
- E.g. - If we had $100M total pooled liquidity, we’ll give away $670,000k of UMA.
- We’ll just adjust that APY based on a number of factors. We can do it monthly, and based on some criteria – Required liquidity and sensitivity to dumping.
- This will make it so much easier to talk about this program and promote it on farming websites.
Known issue - Liquidity would pool to stablecoin + low risk products. But this isn’t a new issue, it exists in the current model. We’ll have to get more creative with short-term or additive programs, and dapp miners can layer their own incentives on top from their bonuses if they like.
Ratio and APR Adjustments
This is a detail we can sort over time, but I imagine on a monthly basis we’ll announce that we’re changing or keeping the APR and Ratio amounts for the coming month.